Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 11 Pix, Continued

(Apologies to everyone for the long delay in posting anew!)














This is a really cool shot that Jody took that I forgot to include in my last post. Keep in mind that Jody was riding his bike when he took this picture (a few seconds before he snapped the last picture of the previous post).


















I also meant to post this picture of Jody striking his Tour de France stage-winning pose. Once again, you can tell how much fun we were having that day!













I'm not sure what this sign is advertising, but you can probably figure out why I took a picture of it. "JJ" says it all!














Here's a look the road as we approached Matsuyama. We were actually riding in a bike lane, which was a rarity on C2C. The other C2C rarity this photo shows is Jody taking a sip of water.













I have some friends in Kochi, but, as close as we were to them, I knew I wasn't going to see them. Nevertheless, I took this photo to show that I was with them in spirit at that moment. Luckily, Matsuyama was the only congested area that we rode through on the island of Shikoku.














As soon as we got past the city, we were back to quieter roads, which was nice. As you can see, there are hills in the background. Having never been to Shikoku, I didn't realize how mountainous it was.













We later found out that the coastal road we were on was called "Sunset Road." Now you know why, too. You may recall we got a relatively late start that morning, which we weren't all that happy about, but that turned out to be quite a blessing, for two reasons: 1) We ran into our buddy Yuki again; and 2) we got to see this beautiful sunset!














 Right about when we decided it was time to pull over to switch to night gear (i.e., clear shades and lights) ...














 ... we came across this beach. I like this picture, because it is one of the few shots we took of the two of us together, off of our bikes. I think we look both a bit tired (even though we still had a couple of hours of riding left that day) and ecstatic, because of the great weather, the warm night-time air, the relatively light traffic, and the fact that we were so, so close to Kyushu, our final island.













Our bikes took some time off, too, to enjoy the sunset!














This picture wouldn't normally merit posting, but for personal reasons I decided to include it in the blog. For one, it's maybe the only picture from C2C of me resting next to my bike, so I like it. For two, Jody cut off my right foot, which (in my opinion) ruins the picture but makes me laugh, since Jody and I often "argued" over who took the better pictures (and discussed whether or not it matters if you cut someone's feet off).


















Since we rode in the dark the rest of the way to our host's place in Honai (just short of Yawatahama, where we had to catch the ferry the next morning), we didn't take any more snaps until dinnertime. For some reason, I took far fewer food pictures on C2C than I did on B2B, but at least I did capture a few meals on film, such as this one, my double burger. We actually planned to eat somewhere else, but the first restaurant we went to was closed, so we ended up at one of my usual places, a Denny's-like joint called Joyfull. (By the way, Jody gave me the semi-ridiculous hat that I'm wearing. He paid all of 99 cents for it on an auction site that shall remain unnamed...)


















Finally, here's Jody with his dinner. Whereas I usually ordered something western, Jody almost always went for something quite Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment