Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 2, Bifuka - Sapporo: The Great Disappearing Act

We are now in Sapporo! Holy cow. We rode something like 250 km today. We left at about 8 a.m. and arrived at our host's place at about 7:45 p.m. Yeah, long day. And again, Jody rode like a man possessed. He makes it look so easy. It's sickening. Truly.

The funniest thing that happened today was when we lost each other for about 5 minutes. This is what happened, in a nutshell:

Me behind Jody, as usual.
Truck (a semi) on our right.
Light changing to red.
Jody noticed at the last second.
I noticed after the last second.
Jody pulls to his left to stop.
I fly through intersection.
Jody looks back to see if I'm there.
I continue onward, but I don't pedal.
I look back..
Jody is gone.
I ride back to the intersection.
Jody is gone.
Jody disappeared.
I wait and wait and wait.
Finally Jody shows up.
Turns out he didn't see me fly through the intersection, so he thought I must have gotten a flat somewhere way back down the road.
He went looking for me, didn't find me, came back to the intersection.
We re-united. Yeah!

Otherwise, we just rode a lot. Few pictures taken. Little talking done. Just rode. Like crazy. Tired. Going to bed. Gonna eventually come back to this post and touch it up. Sorry...

Some quotes from today:

Jo, as he looks at a drink: How many calories does this thing have?
Me: 27
Jo: That's enough to get me to the next intersection.

Jo: You gotta get that. You're in charge of media.
(As we ride pass a nice sunflower field.)

Jo, as he looks back to see where I am (I am right behind him.): Now that your chain isn't squeaking any more, I can't tell if you're behind me.
Me: Actually, you know I'm behind you, you just don't know how far.

Last night, just before going to bed, Jo: Tomorrow we're not riding as fast as today. No way. I'm too tired.
This morning, Jo: I feel great!

Me, in reference to how fast Jo rides, and how easy he makes it look: I don't know how you do it.
Jo: What are you talking about? You're doing it, too!

Good night, everyone.
Wish us luck for tomorrow, which will probably be our longest day of C2C, as we ride to Hakodate and finish up with Hokkaido. If we're lucky.
Sorry for no pix. Stay tuned.

Today's ride stats:

Distance: 152.71 miles (245.762 km)
Elapsed Time: 12:05:06
Time in Saddle: 9:01:02
Average Moving Speed: 16.9 mph
Maximum Speed: 33.9 mph
Calories Burned: 9183
Elevation Gain: 3054 ft
Max Elevation: 783 ft
Average Temp: 75.1 F

No comments:

Post a Comment