Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 1, Wakkanai Airport - Bifuka: Who's Your Jody?

Jody never ceases to amaze me. The guy is an animal.

All he did today was arrive in the country at around 04:45, start riding at 12:15, and proceed to ride 175 kilometers by 19:45. Of course, I rode the same distance, but Jody pulled me all the way, for the most part.


If it hadn't been for his frantic pace-setting, I'd probably still be about 30 km down the road. I don't know how he does it.

Naturally, he's in bed now as I type this, but that's totally understandable.

Anyway, we all need a Jody to push us past our limits. Who's your Jody?

Some impressions from today's ride:

My knees and lower back are aching, but I'm happy that we survived Day 1. Now we only have 13 to go.

This part of Japan reminds me a little of the northeastern United States. We rode past lots of farmland and dairies, but no rice fields. The roads are pretty empty, as are the towns. The countryside is very picturesque and green.

No bad news to report, which is good news!

Great weather! Hurray for that.

It was great to see Jody again. His choice of shirts for the off-bike time was great, too. It reads: "I'm Huge in Japan"

Tomorrow we have a big day ahead of us. We plan to cover about 250 km.

Sorry for the short post, but I think you understand. I have to get some sleep. More soon!

Today's ride stats:

Distance: 108.88 miles (175.225 km)
Elapsed Time: 6:29:10*
Time in Saddle: 6:27:49
Average Moving Speed: 16.8 mph
Maximum Speed: 33.7 mph
Calories Burned: 6490**
Elevation Gain: 2277 ft
Max Elevation: 659 ft
Average Temp: 69.2 F
*This is inaccurate.
**Jody to me, clarifying the amount: "That's for my body, not yours. You probably burned more, because you look more tired."

2 comments: